Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Great Grandmother Quilts

I thought I'd share photos of a couple of my greatest inspiration quilts.

These gorgeous specimens were pieced by my maternal great-grandmother and hand-quilted by a group of women at her church.  My mom estimates that these quilts were made around 1910.


One features a fan block and one features a dresden plate block.  The blocks were made from tiny scraps of fabric taken from old house dresses.  I don't think my great-grandmother and her family had a lot of money and they were careful to repurpose every little piece of fabric in the house.  When I was growing up, I remember seeing many of the same fabrics from these quilts in potholders and other items around my grandmother's home.

As a child, I admired these quilts and carefully studied each and every fabric.  I was (and still am) in awe of the tremendous color and pattern in these quilts.  This must be where my love of fabric originated.  I am still inspired each time I look at these beauties and am thankful my mom has entrusted them to me.




These quilts are large... probably intended for a full size bed.



Sadly, the bindings are beginning to fray.  I'll have to look into repairing them at some point.


Isn't the handwork on these blocks amazing?  Gorgeous.


I hope my great-grandmother quilts will bring you some inspiration today.

No comments:

Post a Comment