Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Free Tutorial - Embellished Onesies

Are you looking for a fun holiday gift for a little person in your life? How about an embellished onesie or t-shirt?  I just finished making a few of these for my daughter and thought I'd share my technique.  This project is soooo easy!  Once you get the hang of it, you can whip these out in about 15 minutes.  Seriously.

By the way - it's not too soon to start making your holiday gifts.  Christmas is right around the corner.  I find that if I don't start making now, it just won't happen.


Materials
  • Onesie or t-shirt in desired size (I always buy Carter's bodysuits as they are nice and thick)
  • 3" x 3" square of fussy-cut fabric (this just means to center the design in your square)
  • Glue stick
  • Fray Check
  • Sewing machine, thread, iron
Instructions
I always pre-wash my fabric and onesie in a gentle baby detergent as both will shrink.

Select your fabric and cut a 3" x 3" square.  I used fabric from a Sheri Berry holiday line as well as some Riley Blake tree fabric (I happened to have scraps left over from a quilt I made for my mother-in-law last Christmas).



Now flip your square(s) over onto a piece of scratch paper and coat one side (about an 1/8 of an inch strip) of the square with your glue stick. Fold over 1/8" of your fabric and smooth it out.


Repeat on an adjoining side.

Now clip a small portion of the excess corner fabric to eliminate bulk. Just be careful not to get too close to the corner or clip through to the front.


Repeat these steps on remaining two sides.

Now apply a teeny bit of Fray Check or other anti-fray product to each corner.


The next step is to apply a small amount of glue to the back of the square to hold it in place while you sew. Place the square on the onesie wherever you like it.  I usually put mine about an inch and-a-half below the neckline.


Now unsnap your onesie and place it on the arm of your sewing machine so that you're just sewing through the top layer.  



Edge stitch around the square, backstitching at the start and finish and pivoting at each corner and you're done!  Cute baby gift.



If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment.  Hope you like this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment