Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Art for Art's Sake

I've had the time of my life sewing, quilting and crafting for the last three years.  Before my son was born, I didn't even know how to thread my sewing machine.  I didn't have much confidence in my creative ability but I knew I needed an outlet.  There's something about becoming a mother that gives you an incredible amount of determination.  If you can give birth, you can learn to sew.  Or do anything else for that matter.  So I got out my dusty sewing machine and started searching the web for easy projects.  When I got stuck and didn't know how to do something, I watched a YouTube video.  We live in an amazing time and I was shocked by how much information I found at my fingertips.

In early 2008 I started a business selling my baby gift designs and it was a thrill!  News of my little gig seemed to spread among my groups of friends and before I knew it I was receiving orders from people I didn't know.  That was pretty exciting for me.  A good chunk of the last two years has been spent trying to build my business.  It's been a constant juggle and struggle to figure out how to be a full-time stay-at-home-mom while also being a full-time business owner.  The end result has been a pretty frazzled, rarely showered, frozen pizza eating me.

Late September found me starting a blog... something I had been wanting to do for a long, long time.  I've been an avid blog reader for years and have always thought it would be fun to have an online journal.  I love sharing my creations and ideas with all of you.

In the interest of myself and my family, I'm letting go of the business for now and will focus mainly on this blog.  Don't worry - if you're one of my repeat customers, I'll still gladly take a commission for burp cloths here and there.  But I'm not going to promote my business the way that I used to.  In fact, I'll soon be taking down my website.  So be sure to bookmark the blog so that you can find me in the future.

I'm sure that I'll get back to business mode at some point down the line. Perhaps when my kids are both in school and I have more time on my hands.  But for now, I've decided that the best thing for me is to create art for art's sake.  I can't wait to show you what's next (and not try to sell it!).

Thanks for reading!  I'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment