Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Kindness of Neighbors

Look what I found on my doorstep last evening.


Aren't they beautiful? And that's not all. They were sitting next to a large tupperware container filled with the yummiest beef and vegetable soup I've ever tasted.

Were these gifts from a secret admirer? No. They were from a very kind and generous next-door-neighbor.

He has been known to do this in the past. When we had our baby girl last January, we found a similar gift on our doorstep no less than once a week for many, many weeks.


These little gifts show up at unexpected times and it seems as if Drew knows just when I need his help the most. Yesterday afternoon, I was dealing with two cranky little ones who are still fighting the time change from vacation and wondering how I was going to get a meal made by the time my husband came home from work. Not that I cook all that often... we frequent our local takeout joints more than I care to admit. But last night I was finally feeling somewhat organized post-trip and was ready to tackle dinner.

But the clock kept ticking and the dinner hour was looming with nothing on the stove or in the oven (or even the microwave). And then our doorbell rang. And by the time I got to the door, no one was there... just a special gift left on the doorstep.


Drew - you make me want to be a better person! You make me think about the difference we can make. Your dinner gifts might not be a big deal to you, but they are HUGE to me. And they make me think about what I might be able to do for someone else. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how lovely I wish I had a neighbour like that, I have the neighbours from hell (Ive tolerated a lot over the years & bit my lip & smiled)hopefully wont be neighbours much longer

    ReplyDelete