Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Butterflies, Butterflies, Butterflies

In addition to all of the quilting I did over the weekend, I found a little time to make these...


This is the Pottery Barn Kids-inspired project I was telling you about. The catalog featured similar butterflies attached to a little girl's wall. The lightbulb immediately went off in my brain. I have a (very subtle) butterfly theme in Maddy's room and plenty of blank wall space. I thought these would be a perfect addition to her room.

So I got to work and made butterfly...


after butterfly...


after butterfly.


These are soooo easy (and so fun) to make. All you need are some fabric scraps, white glue, a sewing machine or hand sewing needle and thread and some double-sided tape (for attaching to the wall). 

The best part about this project was finding fun places for the butterflies to land. Such as on a lampshade or a picture frame or the light-switch plate. You can really have a sense of humor with this one.


I've been writing up a tutorial and will share it with you tomorrow.

So then I got to thinking... this project would also translate to other shapes. Like hearts! How appropriate for this time of year.


So there you have it! I can't wait to share my easy tutorial (along with templates) tomorrow.

Have a happy and creative day!

2 comments:

  1. These are adorable! Do you have any ideas on what you could do for a boy's room? I love the 3d look to them, but nothing cool comes to mind for a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hespyhep. I know! I've been trying to come up with something three-dimensional for a boys room. Still thinking about it. My son was insanely jealous as I was putting these on my daughter's wall so that thought has been on my mind. Maybe basketballs and baseballs? You could do them like the hearts but in a round shape and in solid fabric. I don't know. I'll keep thinking! :-)

    I did make some boy-ish wall art for my little boys room, though. You can check out that tutorial here - http://smallestsparrow.blogspot.com/2010/10/free-tutorial-fussy-cut-wall-art_10.html

    ReplyDelete